Sunday, January 20, 2013

make someone smile

this post is a bit overdue..i know but anyway my weekend challenge from last weekend spilled over into my last week a bit but it was still amazing. being a guyanese girl, i never really meet many other guyanese people. one of my first graduate school classes, i walked in and saw a tall, brown guy. a brown guy! AND HE WAS GUYANESE! we immediately connected and once telling him of my ancestry and past he was smiling and excited to continue and build this relationship.

i'm certain that what i learn from him will be more than from the class itself and i look forward to building the relationship that i could with a guyanese scholar, which is something i would like to be identified with by the end of my degree(s)...a female first-generation Guyanese-American scholar. :)


No comments: