Since moving into my first apartment in Binghamton in August, my roommates and I started baking A LOT. Whether it was our general college over-eating, stress, loving sweets (obviously), we made tons of cakes, pies, cookies, pancake-cakes (yes you read that right), brownies and more.
So of course, this has extended well beyond my last semester in Binghamton. On Christmas Eve I made Vegan Strawberry-Chocolate Brownies. It was the first time I ever made them, with my own special recipe and they were a hit!
the original recipe:
*the soy yogurt & strawberry puree serve as egg substitutes
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
6 oz soy strawberry yogurt
1/2 cup strawberry puree
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. mix all of the dry ingredients with a spoon in a large bowl
3. once mixed, add the oil and vanilla extract and mix well until a darker batter begins to form
4. add the yogurt and puree and mix well until all ingredients are mixed well
5. taste the batter! it's incredible and there's no risk of getting salmonella since there are no eggs!
6. in a 9" by 13"pan, grease and pour the batter into the pan, evenly
7. bake for 30 min (or longer) and do the usual tooth pick trick to make sure it's fully baked
if you'd like to use cookie cutters or just to cut them immediately:
8. let the brownies cool for about 30 minutes then put it in the fridge for about 20 mins
9. then take a fun, festive cookie cutter and cut the brownies and sprinkle some sprinkles, frosting, marshmallows anything you'd like to decorate!
happy baking, friends! xoxo